Setting out on the journey to create the best film or video content can be a daunting one, especially if you are unfamiliar with the video production process or if you’re unfamiliar with providers in the NYC area.
Finding the best video production in NYC can be a bit like looking for the prize in a bag of cracker jacks…you know it’s there somewhere but you’re going to have to do a little work, be patient, or both, to get to it. If only you could wave a magic wand and have immediate answers! Well, I can’t promise you a wand, or a secret decoder ring, but by following these three simple steps, you’ll be able to not only define what “best” means to you, but how to get started in finding the best video production partner in NYC for you.
1. Understand what you need
Knowing what you want to create with video production, and the steps that need to be accomplished, is the first step in searching for a company in the NYC area that fits your needs. For the sake of simple comparison, I’ve grouped three common types of video production providers:
- Production Crews
- A Video Production Agency
Videographers – Typically a Videographer is utilized to film weddings, sports games, or similar events. These events follow a somewhat routine format or formula when it comes to filming and editing. They are also less likely to require extra equipment or extensive creative direction. This makes the plan for execution fairly straightforward and manageable by a few-man operation.
Production Crews – Perhaps you have a more in-depth concept developed, a script written, shots conceptualized and outlined, and perhaps you are the mastermind ready to lead the strategic and creative direction behind the film or video you wish to make. What you’re looking for are the camera operators, production assistants, audio engineers, and possibly others to facilitate the shoot and capture what you need on film.
A Video Production Agency – Perhaps you need a more strategically planned campaign or concept for your business or corporation; or, perhaps you want to create a filmed piece, but need someone to help you put all the pieces together, from concept to final product. This is where you’ll benefit from a video production agency in NYC that offers creative and pre-production services, such as: scripting, casting, location scouting, props, wardrobe, not to mention filming, and editing.
2. Take a look at what they’ve done, and what other customers have to say
Once you’ve started searching for the type of video production you need in the NYC area, you’ll want see who is the best fit for you in quality, style, and customer service. I know budget is always a key concern in this search, but in hunting for the best, I’d like to focus first on high quality as well as superior service and reputation.
Ideally a company offering video production services in NYC will have a portfolio reel or section of their website where you can view a sampling of their work. Some things to look for:
- Video and audio quality – does their work look and sound professional?
- Types of Videos and Films created – do they have diverse experience? Do they have experience with the type of video you’d like to create or the industry you are in?
- Capabilities and Personality – Video production is a process. You’ll want to make sure the crew you select are experienced, but also cooperative, communicative, and will be an overall good fit for you.
Also take a look at as many testimonial comments you can find, especially those that explain their experience in detail and offer valuable insights. Testimonials can give you an idea of the types of projects that the crew or team has worked on, they type of results they’ve provided, and how they were to work with.
3. Make Contact and Dive Deeper
Ideally both samples and testimonials will be at your fingertips on a company website. If not, it may take reaching out and speaking to someone to investigate further. While researching on the web or via email can be convenient, making a direct connection will get you the specific answers you need more quickly. So, take a deep breath, and make the leap into old-school human conversation.
Some things to consider prior to calling, and to discuss with your prospective NYC video production company include:
- What type of video do you want to create?
- If your video is for business purposes, what goal do you wish for it to achieve?
- What specific services might you be looking for? This can include: developing an idea, scripting, casting, finding locations, acquiring props, facilitating a shoot, filming, editing footage into a video, recording a voice-over, sourcing music, and much more.
- If you don’t know what specific services you may need then a conversation with a helpful expert will save you a great amount of time, as opposed to trying to research this on your own!
- What budget do you have in mind?